[R-sig-ME] overdispersion and the one random effect per observation approach

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sat Jun 26 18:50:08 CEST 2010

  @article{elston_analysis_2001,
        title = {Analysis of aggregation, a worked example: numbers of
ticks on red grouse chicks},
        volume = {122},
        number = {5},
        journal = {Parasitology},
        author = {D. A. Elston and R. Moss and T. Boulinier and C.
Arrowsmith and X. Lambin},
        year = {2001},
        pages = {563--569}
}

 ... although having looked at this particular example more carefully I
think I might *not* recommend the particular approach they took (i.e.,
using PQL with per-individual random effects, which is explicitly
disrecommended in the Genstat/AS-REML documentation ...)

  Try searching for "Poisson-lognormal distribution" too ...