[R-sig-ME] overdispersion and the one random effect per observation approach

Luca Borger lborger at uoguelph.ca
Sat Jun 26 08:15:22 CEST 2010

Dear All,

it has been recently discussed on this list (e.g. see below, as well as
http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq) that overdispersed distributions can be
modelled by using an observation-level random effect (i.e. one random effect
per observation). I am wondering if anyone knows a good reference for this
approach. John Maindonald kindly pointed me to an example in the new edition
of his book:

> There is an example in Section 10.5 of the 3rd edition of Data Analysis &
> Graphics Using R, which is just now out.

Does anyone know other refs? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Luca

-------------------
Luca Börger, PhD