[R-sig-ME] lme4, lme4a, and overdispersed distributions (again)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 24 23:17:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Jeffrey Evans
<Jeffrey.Evans at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> Since I am definitely *not* a mathematician, I am straying in over my head
> here.
>
> I understand what you are saying - that there isn't a likelihood function
> for the quasi-binomial "distribution". And therefore, there is no-such
> distribution.
>
> What do you think of the suggestion that a beta-binomial mixture
> distribution could be used to model overdispersed binomial data?
>
> Would this be a techinically correct and logistically feasibile solution?

Technically correct, I imagine.  The feasibility would depend on
whether there is an IRLS type of algorithm for determining the
estimates of the coefficients in the linear predictor.

I see several packages mention the beta-binomial distribution and
fitting such models.  Without actually examining the code though I
wouldn't be able to guess how easily they could be adapted.  You have
to realize that it may be necessary to fit and re-fit the penalized,
generalized linear model many many times, perhaps into the thousands
of times, during the fit of one GLMM. You can't be casual about the
inner loop of fitting the GLM.  Most of the descriptions in packages
that I have seen eventually call optim.  The implementation of GLMs
within glmer is very different from calling an optimizer.