[R-sig-ME] lme4, lme4a, and overdispersed distributions (again)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:25:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Jeffrey Evans
<Jeffrey.Evans at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> Like others, I have experienced trouble with estimation of the scale
> parameter using the quasi-distributions in lme4, which is necessary to
> calculate QAICc and rank overdispersed generalized linear mixed models.

> I had several exchanges with Ben Bolker about this early last year after his
> TREE paper came out
> (http://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/abstract/S0169-5347%2809%29000
> 19-6), and I know it's been discussed on on this list. Has there been or is
> there any potential resolution to this forthcoming in future releases of
> lme4 or lme4a? I run into overdispersed binomial distributions frequently
> and have had to use SAS to deal with them. SAS appears to work, but it won't
> estimate the overdispersion parameter using laplace estimation (only PQL),
> As I understand it, these pseudo-Iikelihoods can't be used for model
> ranking. I don't know why SAS can't/won't, but lme4 will run these
> quasi-binomial and quasi-poisson distributions with Laplace estimation.

> Is there a workable way to use lme4 for modeling overdispersed binomial
> data?

I have trouble discussing this because I come from a background as a
mathematician and am used to tracing derivations back to the original
definitions.  So when I think of a likelihood (or, equivalently, a
deviance) to be optimized it only makes sense to me if there is a
probability distribution associated with the model.  And for the
quasi-binomial and quasi-Poisson families, there isn't a probability
distribution.  To me that means that discussing maximum likelihood
estimators for such models is nonsense.  The models simply do not
exist.  One can play tricks in the case of a generalized linear model
to estimate a "quasi-parameter" that isn't part of the probability
distribution but it is foolhardy to expect that the tricks will
automatically carry over to a generalized linear mixed model.

I am not denying that data that are over-dispersed with respect to the
binomial or Poisson distributions can and do occur.  But having data
like this and a desire to model it doesn't make the quasi families
real.  In his signature Thierry Onkelinx quotes

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey

I could and do plan to incorporate the negative binomial family but,
without a definition that I can understand of a quasi-binomial or
quasi-Poisson distribution and its associated probability function,
I'm stuck. To me it's a "build bricks without straw" situation - you
can't find maximum likelihood estimates for parameters that aren't
part of the likelihood.