[R-sig-ME] GLMM linearity checking

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:25:43 CEST 2010

fengsj at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> I am sorry for asking this question here. It is more related to
> logistic regression.
>
> I need to use GLMM (binomial(link = "logit")) )to fit my data. The
> dependent variable is 0 or 1 and  I'd like to do some roughly
> graphical checkings for my data to see if the responses of
> transformaed data are linear with respect to continuous predictors in
> general. How should I do this?
>
> Thanks,

   how about

 m <- glmer(...,data=d)
 d$resid <- residuals(m)

 xyplot(resid~continuous_predictor_1,type=c("p","smooth"),data=d)

  Non-linearity on the transformed scale will appear as a (non-flat)
pattern of the (smoothed line fitted to the) residuals as a function of
the continuous predictors ...

  Ben Bolker