[R-sig-ME] strategy for interpreting significant interactions

J.A. Etzel J.A.Etzel at med.umcg.nl
Tue May 18 09:46:11 CEST 2010

I received another reply, which I copy here since it wasn't sent to the
list:
-----
I also just know enough to be dangerous, but here's a first
approximation of the ultimate truth.

I think he is just arguing (rightly or wrongly) that some kinds of main
effects in the presence of an interaction can indeed be safely
interpreted. One example comes to mind: if the interaction only
moderates the strength of a main effect and does not flip over its
direction. If the variables are setup in some sensible way then the main
effects will give a kind of average.

A more general approach would be somehow to make sense of the meaning of
the interactions. Can they be given a theoretical interpretation,
perhaps with the help of some graphing? This is where the theory comes
in handy: to limit the space of statistical models you have to explain!

Andy Fugard
-----

Thanks for the replies!

In this case, the data is on a ratio scale and floor/ceiling effects
aren't a problem. This should have been obvious from the paper, but
maybe wasn't. Thanks for the link; I wasn't familiar with this artifact.

Perhaps I should add plots of the interactions, demonstrating that they
do cross ("disordinal interactions"). The approach I followed in the
paper was to construct sensible (given the data) sub-analyses to
describe the interactions, such as looking at the effect of p within
each combination of d and tc (since p did not interact with ds or s).

thanks again,
Jo Etzel