[R-sig-ME] About lmer() function in package lme4

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 1 18:19:57 CEST 2010

    ET> Hello,

    ET> I have had problems with the function lmer in the package lme4, I'm
    ET> trying to run a GLMM with a poisson distribution. But I receive the
    ET> warning message

    ET> Warning message: In mer_finalize(ans) : iteration limit reached
    ET> without convergence (9)

    ET> I tried to put more iteration with control=list(maxIter=500), but
    ET> actually the program justo run 300 times, as the default.

    ET> the code that I wrote is this:

    ET> GLMM1 <- lmer(OPTOT ~ fYEAR + (fYEAR | BOAT), data=DATA1,
    ET> family=poisson, na.action=na.omit,
    ET> control=list(maxIter=500,msVerbose=T), verbose=T)

Coincidence ?

Just Tuesday and yesterday, Doug Bates and were prompted to fix
this thanks to an (R-forge) bug report + e-mail from Ben Bolker.
Doug released the new version of lme4 to CRAN's incoming,
but because of Easter holidays, those packages are not yet
available for installation.

However, if you install lme4 from R-forge,
you should get a version that fixes your problem.

After you do
  >  install.packages("lme4", repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")

  >  packageDescription("lme4")

should contain