[R-sig-ME] About lmer() function in package lme4

Edgar.Torres at ifremer.fr Edgar.Torres at ifremer.fr
Thu Apr 1 17:56:22 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have had problems with the function lmer in the package lme4, I'm
trying to run a GLMM with a poisson distribution. But I receive the
warning message

Warning message: In mer_finalize(ans) : iteration limit reached
without convergence (9)

I tried to put more iteration with control=list(maxIter=500), but
actually the program justo run 300 times, as the default.

the code that I wrote is this:

GLMM1 <- lmer(OPTOT ~ fYEAR + (fYEAR | BOAT), data=DATA1,
family=poisson, na.action=na.omit,
control=list(maxIter=500,msVerbose=T), verbose=T)

I am not really sure that the way that I wrote the control statement
is the right one.

Thanks a lot

Edgar TORRES
Phd student in Ecosystems