[R-sig-ME] Significance and lmer

Adam D. I. Kramer adik at ilovebacon.org
Sun Mar 28 00:17:53 CET 2010

The problem turned out to be, indeed, differing numbers of observations.
This is likely due to me relying too much on update() to work as I
expected...it did not drop the observations previously dropped. The help
page for update makes it very clear that it just re-evaluates an altered
call, so this is my fault. Ben's comment about update() being wonky should
have given me a hint.

Preselecting cases using complete.cases() for both models brought the t
values and chi-square values much closer together--when t=.51 for the
coefficient, the chisq of a likelihood test for removing the variable from
the model was chisq=.25, leading to a reasonable p=.62.

Thanks very much to you and Ben Bolker!

--Adam