[R-sig-ME] Significance and lmer

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sat Mar 27 23:04:03 CET 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Adam D. I. Kramer wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Ben Bolker wrote:
>
>>> ...a significant result completely unrelated to the t-value. My
>>> interpretation of this would be that we have no good evidence that the
>>> estimate for 'pred' is nonzero, but including pred in the model improves
>>> prediction.
>>

>>  I have seen some wonky stuff happen with update() [sorry, can't provide
>> any reproducible details], I would definitely try fitting b by spelling
>> out the full model rather than using update() and see if that makes a
>> difference.
>
> This produces no difference in b's estimates or the anova() statistics.
> (That said, I originally was fitting [implicitly] with REML=TRUE, which did
> make a difference, but not a big one).

The two models both have the same number of observations, one hopes?  How
many observations per studyID and how many studyIDs?

> Well, thanks for the reply. Are you, then, of the opinion that the above
> interpretation is reasonable?

I would be a bit nervous.  My interpretation would be that the model is
inappropriate for the data (as the Wald and LR tests should roughly agree
for a LMM, as Ben pointed out), and would look at diagnostic plots of
residuals etc.  The bunch of zeroes you mention may still be stuffing
things up ;)  Is a left-censored model plausible?

Just my 2c, David Duffy.