[R-sig-ME] Test of random effect in lme4

Stefano Leonardi stefano.leonardi at unipr.it
Thu Mar 11 17:02:44 CET 2010

On 11/03/2010 16:30, Anna Renwick wrote:
> There has been a lot of discussion previously whether we should remove
> random effects based on LRT. The reason is that you added the random effect
> based on your study design and whether it is significant or not it should
> remain in there. I am not sure there is any definite rule and maybe it
> depends on your study and personal view point.
>
> Dr Anna R. Renwick
> Research Ecologist
> British Trust for Ornithology,
> The Nunnery,
> Thetford,
> Norfolk,
> IP24 2PU,
> UK

Can someone please give some literature references about this
discussion. I am very interested.

According to my experience in Ecology it often happens  that someone
needs to understand if a variable or factor is
important/relevant/significant in determining some other variable.

I would like to understand up to which point the arbitrariness of the
experimenter is considered tolerable.

Thanks
Stefano

  Stefano Leonardi
  Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali
  Universita` di Parma               E-mail:stefano.leonardi(at)unipr.it
  Viale Usberti 11a                             Phone : +39-0521-905659
  43100 PARMA  (Italy)                          Fax   : +39-0521-905402