[R-sig-ME] raters

Iasonas Lamprianou lamprianou at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 29 07:09:12 CET 2010

Good morning colleagues,
I have a dataset where 100 raters (teachers who mark student responses to examination questions) participated to a number of examinations. Not everybofy participated to each examination. For example, one rater may have participated to only 2 examinations, and another rater may have participated to 12 examinations. The examinations do not happen at regular intervals i.e. sometimes a month may pass between two examinations, sometimes the distance between two examinations may be nine months. So, we have a situation where diffrent people participated to a different number of examinations and the distance between the examinations is not constant. Every time a rater participates to one examination, he is awarded some statistical indications of his/her rating profile: accuracy, consistency, restriction of range (he only uses part of the rating scale) etc.
I need to investigate (a) if the are raters who follow specific patterns e.g. the more the exminations they participate, the more consistent they become, or the more accurate they become. (b)I want to check if there is statistically significant variability between the raters' statistics. In every case, I want to use the time that elaplses between exams as a covariate.

How can I do the above two points using lme?

Dr. Iasonas Lamprianou

Assistant Professor (Educational Research and Evaluation)
Department of Education Sciences
European University-Cyprus
P.O. Box 22006
1516 Nicosia