[R-sig-ME] Fw: re: Trend in total number of animals

damian.collins at industry.nsw.gov.au damian.collins at industry.nsw.gov.au
Fri Jan 29 06:51:02 CET 2010

Dear Jarrod,

You asked about ASReml's na.include=Y option.

No, this does not do any fancy imputation or augmentation like MCMCglmm
does either.

As you can read on p113 of the user guide (p139 of the pdf)
http://www.vsni.co.uk/downloads/asreml/release3/UserGuide.pdf
!mvinclude just imputes zeros. This obviously assumes centred covariates.
For factors, another factor level is created.

Damian

Damian Collins, Biometrician, I&I NSW
damian.collins at industry.nsw.gov.au

>Dear Doug,

>Perhaps I misunderstand Rubin's missing data theory, and/or perhaps
>its not relevant to Thierry's problem.

>I was under the impression that if the probability of missingness
>depends on the value observed for some other data (MAR), then by
>including this data and structuring the likelihood correctly then
>correct inferences (i.e. in the absence of missingness) could be made.
>Given that the default na.action of lmer seems to deletes other data
>(complete case analysis), it is hard to see how the other data can be
>used to 'correct' for missingness. MCMCglmm uses augmentation for
>missing data. Internally, this is often used just to simplify/speed up
>the matrix operations using dummy data.  However, I had presumed that
>if users really did have MAR data then the augmentation would take
>care of this. I know ASReml has an na.includeY argument so presumably
>there is something to be gained by not reducing the problem to a
>complete-case analysis, but perhaps this function is there just to
>allow users to make predictions for missing data points. I know the
>asreml team read this list, so perhaps they could comment?

>Cheers,
>Jarrod,

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of their organisation.