[R-sig-ME] Trend in total number of animals

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Jan 28 22:25:27 CET 2010

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, ONKELINX, Thierry wrote:

> We are modelling the total numbers of hibernating bats in a fortress. We
> have data of the number of bats per room spanning ten years. The main
> problem is that not all rooms were visited each year. The fieldworkers
> did not known or find all rooms and some rooms were not allways
> accessible.
>
> Some of the rooms were not counted in the early years and they contain a
> rather high number of bats in the more recent years.

I would try (fixed-effects) log-linear models for incomplete tables as
well, to deal with the sampling (I have written an R package "gllm", that
may be suitable).  Then you could compare the estimates of total counts to
the GLMM results.  If you are going to simulate, you might might as well
go to BUGS.

Cheers, David.