[R-sig-ME] estimates of between sex correlations

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 28 18:23:44 CET 2010

Hi Celine,

Unfortunately I don't think the model you want to fit can be fitted in
MCMCglmm. Currently only (conditional) diagonal and (conditional)
block residual covariance matrices are implemented, and what you want
is block diagonal. ASReml is probably you best way forward at the
moment. If you are prepared to assume that the residual covariances
for the 3 traits are equivalent in the two sexes then you can use
rcov=~us(trait):sex:units.

  With respect to the permanent environment effects you can fit a
block diagonal using

us(at.level(sex,1):trait):id+us(at.level(sex,2):trait):id

where id are the individual identifiers.

I may allow this type of syntax in the residual structure in the near future.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Celine Teplitsky <teplitsky at mnhn.fr>:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to fit a model to estimate between sex genetic
> correlations for 3 traits (3 same traits expressed both in males and
> females) using MCMCglmm. My problem is I don't understand how I can
> manage to fix the covariances between male and female traits to 0 for
> residual variance and permanent environment. Could anyone help me with
> this?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> All the best
>
> Celine
>
> --
>
> Celine Teplitsky
> Département Ecologie et Gestion de la Biodiversité UMR 7204
> Unité Conservation des Espèces, Restauration et Suivi des Populations
> Case Postale 51
> 55 rue Buffon 75005 Paris
>
> Webpage :http://www2.mnhn.fr/cersp/spip.php?rubrique96
> Fax : (33-1)-4079-3835
> Phone: (33-1)-4079-3443

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.