[R-sig-ME] R-structure in ZIP models

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Sat Jan 9 12:20:44 CET 2010

Hi Chris,

The zero-inflation part of the model is like modelling a binary
variable. Between observation heterogeneity in the probability of
success cannot be observed (even if it exists) and so the residual
variance is unestimable. For this reason I recommend fixing the
residual variance of the zero-inflation process at something (usually
one). By not fixing it, the posterior and prior for the residual
variance will be identical. It turns out that the higher you fix the
residual variance the better it mixes, but if it is too high you will
get numerical problems trying to take the inverse logit of the latent
variables.

Different values of the residual variance will give different
estimates or the fixed effects and other variance components. Diggle
et al in their book on longitudinal analysis give a very accurate
method for rescaling the effects back to what would be observed if the
residual variance was zero (the assumption of most other programs).
I'm not on my computer at the moment but the result can be found in
the CourseNotes vignette. From memory, you divide the fixed effects by
sqrt(1-c^2*R) where R is the estimated residual variance and
c=(16*sqrt(3))/(15*pi). For the variance components divide by (1-c^2R).

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Christopher David Desjardins <desja004 at umn.edu>:

> I recall that Jarrod recommended that I fix the variance in the
> R-structure when I set priors for ZIP models. However, I don't recall
> why. Was the reason that it expedites MCMC convergence?
> Thanks,
> Chris

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.