[R-sig-ME] Intelligent use of mcmcsamp()

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 7 14:41:56 CET 2009

I agree that mcmcsamp in current versions of the lme4 package provide
suspect results.  I still have problems formulating an MCMC update for
the variance components when there is a possibility the value getting
close to zero.

In the development branch of the lme4 package I have added profiling
of the deviance with respect to the parameters as a method of
determining the precision of the parameter estimates.  This package is
called lme4a in the R packages tab of
http://lme4.r-forge.r-project.org/  Unfortunately it looks like the
Windows binary is not available at R-forge (and the error message
looks peculiar because it is an error from an R declarations file - it
may be that I don't have the correct sequence of include files).

I usually look at profiles of the change in the deviance by taking the
signed square root transformation.  Results for your models are
enclosed.  In these cases there aren't problems with the variance of
the random effects approaching zero.  In the case of the Dyestuff data
we do get such behavior and the splom plot shows some rough edges as a
result.