[R-sig-ME] lme vs. lmer and contrasts

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Wed Sep 30 17:39:17 CEST 2009

Hi Robert, (and Raldo)
1) No, but when you have correlated random effects, mcmc is still not
working.
2) set up contrasts as in lm I believe the multcomp package works with
lme4, look at glht
3) About as much as the variability in your data, and whether or not
  it is a designed experiment, and whether you think the assumptions of
  the model hold,
  and if the effect size is meaningful and , ......

Which was the point of the whole discussion, and many others on this
list.
Inference is hard (paraphrasing Barbie).
 <\begin Rant> P-values tend to sweep many important
factors about a model and interpreting them under the umbrella of
significance.
While unfortunately many journals still perpetuate the p-value, it is
possible to
publish, write reports, and go about doing science without them. <\end
Rant>

for Raldo (from lme4 documentation, see cake)
str(cake)
print(fm1 <- lmer(angle ~ recipe * temperature + (1|recipe:replicate),
cake,
                  REML = FALSE), corr = FALSE)
print(fm2 <- lmer(angle ~ recipe + temperature + (1|recipe:replicate),
cake,
                  REML = FALSE), corr = FALSE)
print(fm3 <- lmer(angle ~ recipe + temp + (1|recipe:replicate), cake,
                  REML = FALSE), corr = FALSE)
anova(fm3, fm2, fm1)

Gives a p-value

Nicholas