[R-sig-ME] lme vs. lmer and contrasts

espesser robert.espesser at lpl-aix.fr
Wed Sep 30 10:09:50 CEST 2009

In the last discussion about "lme vs. lmer"  (see below) , D. Bates
adviced to
use anova between 2 mixed models to test a fixed effect.

1) Does it mean that mcmc pvalues have to be disregarded finally ?

2) When the fixed effect is a factor, anova returns the whole
significance of the factor,
but no information about  the levels of the factor. How is it possible
to get it  ?
(I am thinking about  contrast analysis for a factor with more than 2
levels)

3) As a side question:
The mixed models are said to be robust to unbalanced data.
Let suppose a 4 levels factor, with a  number of measures which is
different for
each level (or at least for one level). In what extend can I trust
outputs of a mixed model with
typical contrasts (treatment, sdif, ordered) applied to such a factor ?

Thank you very much for your help

R. Espesser
Laboratoire Parole et Langage,
Université de Provence/CNRS,