[R-sig-ME] interpreting Std. error from glmer output

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Wed Sep 16 10:38:29 CEST 2009

Dear Christine,

Be carefull about that. The SE of a sum is NOT the sums of the SE! But
the variance of a sum is the sum of the variances minus the covariance.

The easiest option would be to refit the model without intercept if you
want the 'total' SE for each treatment.

HTH,

Thierry

----
ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature
and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics,
methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to
say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of
data.
~ John Tukey