[R-sig-ME] AIC comparisons between lmer and glm

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Sat Aug 1 03:44:07 CEST 2009

Not necessarily. Some routines calculate incorrect log likelihoods and
thus AIC by ignoring constants, but I'm not certain what the status of
lmer is. It happens in other programs.

Maybe try some simulated data with a negligible random effect, then
there should be no difference whether the random effect is included.

Ken