[R-sig-ME] AIC comparisons between lmer and glm

Patrick Onyango pogola at Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 1 03:22:31 CEST 2009

I will let the more knowledgeable folks get back address the issues
regarding specification of your model structure; but try to give you
my thoughts on comparison of AIC or other information criteria for
that matter.

1. Yes, the best model is the one with the smallest AIC value; and it
is also advisable to check the p values generated when you run the
anova command.
2. I don't think you can compare AIC values obtained from lmer and
glm; and so the short answer to your question is no.

Good luck,
Patrick