[R-sig-ME] Too small a sample size for lmer?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sat Jul 18 19:18:50 CEST 2009

  Why do Baayen et al 2008 recommend against MCMC?  Do you mean mcmcsamp
 (which may or may not be unreliable in this incarnation, I don't know)
or MCMC in general?  I tried to find it in the paper -- do you mean for
variance parameters (where the zero component gets in the way)?

  Your response variables are also interesting -- unless both plant
count and species richness are large numbers, they'll probably have
non-normal distributions, which adds to complication (it is possible,
but not really really easy, to deal with overdispersed [negative
binomial / log-normal-Poisson / quasi-Poisson ] count data in glmer, and
species richness often has quite an odd distribution depending on the
characteristics of the "regional species pool" ...)

  Ben Bolker