[R-sig-ME] Beta-binomial distributions with lmer?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Jun 10 15:59:02 CEST 2009

  That's a good question, answers will differ.  Since "all models are
wrong" anyway, provided that a mean-variance relationship of V =
phi*N*p*(1-p) seems plausible, I would say you should go for it.  You're
near the cutting edge anyway ... (I don't have a copy, but you might see
whether Zuur et al's book has anything to say on the subject -- they're
very pragmatic ecologists, and I think they use GEE/quasi models quite a
lot ...)

  Ben Bolker