[R-sig-ME] Rasch with lme4

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Tue Jun 9 18:25:40 CEST 2009

On 6/9/2009 6:59 AM, Andy Fugard wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> What happens in practice when you compare the two approaches of item as
> a fixed versus as a random effect?
>
> Consider:
>
>   M1 = lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (1|Subject), sleepstudy)
>   M2 = lm(Reaction ~ Days + factor(Subject), sleepstudy)
>
> The slope estimates for Days for are practically identical, the mean
> intercepts differ:
>
> For M1:

>   Fixed effects:
>               Estimate Std. Error t value
>   (Intercept) 251.4051     9.7459   25.80
>   Days         10.4673     0.8042   13.02
>
> For M2:
>
>                       Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
>   (Intercept)         295.0310    10.4471  28.240  < 2e-16 ***
>   Days                 10.4673     0.8042  13.015  < 2e-16 ***
>
> I didn't look at the estimators for Subject, e.g., for M2 the predictors:
>
>   factor(Subject)309 -126.9008    13.8597  -9.156 2.35e-16 ***
>   factor(Subject)310 -111.1326    13.8597  -8.018 2.07e-13 ***
>   factor(Subject)330  -38.9124    13.8597  -2.808 0.005609 **
>
> But it could be done...
>
> Is there a paper on these sorts of comparisons?  How does the mixed
> effects approach differ from a standard regression model with a heap of
> categorical predictors for representing, e.g., deviations from the mean
> intercept?

Allison, P.D. (2005).  Fixed Effects Regression Methods for Longitudinal
Data Using SAS. Cary, NC: SAS Institute.

  covers some of this territory.  As someone else pointed out, a
limitation is that including "Subject" as a factor precludes inclusion
of specific subject explanatory variables (e.g., gender).