[R-sig-ME] Suggestions for numerical optimization tools...

Ken Beath ken at kjbeath.com.au
Wed Apr 22 23:37:00 CEST 2009

I assume this is part of the mixture model that you have mentioned
previously, where you used EM.

It is probably better to use GEM, that is not to allow the
optimisation of the maximisation part to complete but perform only a
small number of iterations, possibly even 1. When the EM looks close
to convergence switching to optimising the complete likelihood can
also help.

Ken