[R-sig-ME] Suggestions for numerical optimization tools...

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed Apr 22 18:31:46 CEST 2009

  Is optimize() really the bottleneck, or is it the computation time
in the objective function?  Can you implement critical bits of the
objective function calculation in C or FORTRAN?  Based on the
description in optimize(), it seems that although it's a compromise
between robustness and efficiency, that it's usually pretty efficient.
How many function evaluations are typically being required to get
to the minimum?  Can you get away with a lower tolerance?  Can you find
some kind of Gaussian-quadrature approximation to your integral that
makes things more efficient?

  You could also try

http://code.google.com/p/rsympy/#Semi-Automatic_Differentiation

suggested by John Nash ...