[R-sig-ME] Numerical methods used to compute correlation coefficients

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 15 21:30:17 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM, H c <harlancampbell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you.  This  is exactly what I wanted to know.  Perhaps one last
> question.  Is there any particular reason to prefer  this optimization
> routine over another, such as "optimize()"?

optimize() only handles scalar problems and you must define an
interval in which the optimum is to be found.

I have used other unconstrained optimizers such as nlm() and optim()
but had trouble with both of those.  The original version of the nlme
package for S and S-PLUS used the ms() optimizer in S which was based
on some Fortran code by David Gay.  Initially that code could not be
used in R because it was not released under an open source license.
Eventually it was released to the public domain and I wrote the nlminb
interface code for R, primarily so I could use it as the optimizer in
the nlme and lme4 packages.

Even this code by David Gay is far from ideal.  The development
version of the lme4 package factors out the evaluation of the deviance
function or the REML criterion from the optimization of these, so that
those who are interested can experiment with different optimizers and
see what works best in their problems.