[R-sig-ME] Numerical methods used to compute correlation coefficients

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 15 18:59:03 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM, H c <harlancampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the quick response.
> when I refer to "correlation parameters", I mean the "generally small set of
> parameters \lambda" that parametrize the \Lambda_{i} Variance-Covariance
> matrix.
> For example, one has time series data such that every subject has been
> observed at 4 time points.  One wishes to model this using an AR(1)
> correlation structure within the mixed model.
> the AR(1) is parametrized by a fixed parameter, \phi :
> lme(y~X, random=~1|ID, method="ML", data=data,
> correlation=corAR1(0.5,form=~X,fixed=FALSE))

> Since there is no closed form solution for the maximum-likelihood estimate
> of \phi.  what numerical methods are used to arrive at the given estimate?
> Hopefully this has clarified my question.

In the sense that I know what you mean by the correlation parameters.
I'm not sure how to characterize the numerical methods other than to
say that the deviance (negative twice the log-likelihood) or the
corresponding version of the REML criterion is expressed with respect
to an unconstrained parameter and the resulting function optimized
using optimization software within R (nlminb).  You can check the
definition of the corAR family to determine exactly how the
parameterization is defined.