[R-sig-ME] LME and nonlinearity?

Rob Robinson rob.robinson at bto.org
Tue Apr 14 12:14:35 CEST 2009

>  3.)        Do I need a non-linear model?

Probably not. As others have pointed out, models need only be linear in
their (transformed) parameters, they can model highly non-linear
relationships. Non-linear models are not linear in their parameters and
cannot be transormed so (the wikipedia page on nonlinear regression might
help in understanding the difference). Before progressing further it sounds
like you need to think carefully about the mechanism behind the relationship
you are trying to model. How is the non-linearity generated? this might help
in thinking the best model to fit. For exploratory purposes gams or splines
might help characterise the pattern (try gamm in mgcv). I'm not sure fitting
higher-order polynomials is really helpful as it's hard to think of what
would generate a quartic, quintic, ... (or even cubic) relationship. If
there's some sort of threshold in the response, then converting to a
factorial variable might help.
Hope that helps
Cheers
rob

*** Help us celebrate 100 yrs of Ringing http://btoringing.blogspot.com/ **

Dr Rob Robinson, Principal Ecologist
British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU
Ph: +44 (0)1842 750050     E: rob.robinson at bto.org
Fx: +44 (0)1842 750030     W: www.bto.org/aboutBTO/cvs/rob_robinson.htm

====== "How can anyone be enlightened, when truth is so poorly lit" =======