[R-sig-ME] Incorrect std errors from nlmer?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 31 21:54:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:11 AM,  <r.millar at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I just copied and paste the example nlmer code from the lmer help file
> (see below), which fits the logistic to the orange tree data.
> The point estimates of the fixed effects look correct, but the s.e.'s
> are not (I've fitted the model using three other software). The s.e. of
> Asym is way out (it should be about 15), as is the tree effect variance
> (should be about 1000)??????

You're right.  I was kind of hoping that people wouldn't notice that :-)

This is corrected in the development version, which uses a slightly
different syntax in the model formula (all fixed-effects terms must be
explicitly included).  I won't have the development version ready for
release soon so I should go back and fix that in the released version.
 Unfortunately, it will probably be a week before I can look at it.
If someone can produce a patch I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is what the development version produces.

> (nm1 <- nlmer(circumference ~ SSlogis(age, Asym, xmid, scal) ~ Asym + xmid + scal + (Asym|Tree), Orange, start = c(Asym = 200, xmid = 725, scal = 350)))
Nonlinear mixed model fit by the Laplace approximation
Formula: circumference ~ SSlogis(age, Asym, xmid, scal) ~ Asym + xmid
+      scal + (Asym | Tree)
   Data: Orange
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance
 273.2 280.9 -131.6    263.2