[R-sig-ME] Can interaction term cause Estimates and Std. Errors to be too large?

Jarrod Hadfield j.hadfield at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 12:21:39 CEST 2009

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reference, it looks interesting. I disagree that
Luciano's second model should be classified as over fitting. Imagine
this....

y<-rbinom(100, 1, c(0.001, 0.999))
x<-gl(2,1,100)

summary(glm(y~1, family="binomial"))
summary(glm(y~x, family="binomial"))

There is a very high probability of complete separation, the second
model gives non-significant p-values for the effect of x, but I think
it would be a mistake to say the 2nd model is over-fitted and should
be avoided.

Cheers,

Jarrod