[R-sig-ME] Correlation of Fixed Effects

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Tue Feb 10 00:02:28 CET 2009

  Reducing correlations among fixed effects should
improve numerical stability and may help interpretability
(by allowing estimation of some parameters precisely
rather than spreading variance across several correlated
parameters).  If you're not interested in separating
the effects of the different parameters, and if your
model fits OK either way, I wouldn't say it was critical.
   At least that's my impression.  I'm happy to be
enlightened.

  Ben Bolker