[R-sig-ME] Lack of replies from me

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 9 20:20:40 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Murray Jorgensen
<maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> Dear Douglas,

> "Noli illegitemes Carborundum!"

> lme4 is a shining example of how statistical software should be
> developed with software, theory and practice all advancing together and
> in communication.  I truly hope that this patch of nastiness, whatever
> it is, fades away and you get back on track. This is such a central part
> of statistics that the whole community is grateful for the time and
> efforts that you and your students have put into it. If others want to
> take a different approach they may surely develop their own software. I
> would be very sad if you took lme4 out of R. R does not belong to
> anyone, not even prominent members of the core group.

> Best wishes,  Murray Jorgensen

My thanks to you, Murray, and to the many other people who offered
their support and encouragement privately.  It is very gratifying to
me to know that people appreciate access to the software and the
discussions that we have been able to provide.  In the last sentence I
wrote "we" referring to the entire mailing list because the exchanges
on the list and the suggestions from many people over the years have
helped in the process of what Murray describes as "software, theory
and practice all advancing together and in communication".

For example, I have said on several occasions (but may never have
written to this group) that the original suggestion to consider sparse
matrix methods for mixed-effects or multilevel models came Harold
Doran on the first day that I met him.  He was attending a short
course I was giving and, at a reception before the course, we were
talking and he made this suggestion.  Naturally my reaction was, "Hmm,
that's interesting but I really don't know much about sparse matrix
methods" and I planned to just go on with things as they had been.
Fortunately, Harold is persuasive and convinced me that I should learn
something about sparse matrices.

Right now I plan to take a break from acrimonious discussions (and let
me emphasize that it was not discussions on this list that made me so
despondent - Murray's last sentence is much more to the point) and
devote myself to developing code and writing a manuscript for a book.
When the code is developed I will consider in more detail exactly how
it should be released.  For the time being I will retain the R-forge
SVN archive.

Again, let me say how much I appreciate the many kind messages I have received.