[R-sig-ME] logistic growth, vexing choice of which timepoints

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Sat Feb 7 23:16:56 CET 2009

Hi Jenny
What Steven said below is true, the zeros are below the detection limit.
However,
one might ask if the time until the populations cross the detection
threshold matters?
For instance if two wells treated differently both have similar logistic
curves, but one
starts accelerating at t(i) and the other at t(j), j > i that does
provide some information about
what is going on below the detection limit. A sophisticated approach
might be to fit a joint model
modeling the time to the event, and the logistic growth simultaneously.
Given that that is
hard, and there may not be any software to do it, you might want to fit
the survival model (time to event)
and then the logistic growth model n the non-zero data. This is very
add-hoc, but will at least give you
some idea of whether it is worth chasing a more complicated model. This
will be more effective if
you have replicate wells.

Nicholas