[R-sig-ME] logistic model with exponential decay

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 22:35:31 CET 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Stijn Ruiter wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks David, I should look into that, but I usually estimate discrete-time
> models which are basically logistic regression models on person-years files
> with only the records included that are "at risk". Anyway, do these packages
> also allow for nonlinear effects the way I need them?
> Stijn

Well, your setup is pretty similar to "standard" bivariate survival
problems, with your "nonlinear term" being simply time since the first
event (the father's offence) -- there is a correlation between years at
risk of the index person and years since his/her father offended. Your
assumption of an exponential decay is going to induce a particular
survivor curve.  That is, if you included number of years between the
paternal offence and birth of the index person as a
non-time-varying covariate, and instead changed the survival model from a
non-proportional-hazards to say an accelerated failure time model, you may
model the results just as well.

My $0.02, cheers, David Duffy.