[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs not yet implemented

Gavin Simpson gavin.simpson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 11 22:43:15 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 14:58 -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Andrew Robinson
> <A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> > Echoing Murray's points here - nicely put, Murray - it seems to me
> > that the quasi-likelihood and the GLMM are different approaches to the
> > same problem.
>
> I agree and I also appreciate Murray's elegant explanation.
>
> > Can anyone provide a substantial example where random effects and
> > quasilikelihood have both been necessary?
>
> I'm kind of waiting for Ben Bolker to let us know how things look from
> his perspective.  I seem to remember that Ben and others in ecological
> fields were concerned about overdispersion, even after incorporating
> random effects.

Not wanting to preempt Ben or anything, but yes, we ecologists are very
concerned about overdispersion. However, and I say this as someone new
to this field (mixed models, not ecology), the quasilikelihood approach
seems far more of a fudge to avoid having to think about where the
overdispersion is coming from. I find the negative binomial far more
intuitive to deal with than working around the problems not having a
proper likelihood brings (inference, model selection, information
stats). Often, the course of overdispersion is of direct interest
itself.

In the GLM arena I find hurdle and ZIP and ZINB models far more
interpretable in ecological terms than fudging the problem with
quasilikelihood methods. And after-all, that is what I am interested in;
models I can interpret in ecological terms.

My two-penneth,