[R-sig-ME] single argument anova for GLMMs not yet implemented

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 11 21:58:39 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Andrew Robinson
<A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> Echoing Murray's points here - nicely put, Murray - it seems to me
> that the quasi-likelihood and the GLMM are different approaches to the
> same problem.

I agree and I also appreciate Murray's elegant explanation.

> Can anyone provide a substantial example where random effects and
> quasilikelihood have both been necessary?

I'm kind of waiting for Ben Bolker to let us know how things look from
his perspective.  I seem to remember that Ben and others in ecological
fields were concerned about overdispersion, even after incorporating
random effects.