[R-sig-ME] warnings ranef and design of a binomial model

Robert ESPESSER Robert.Espesser at lpl-aix.fr
Wed Sep 10 19:18:47 CEST 2008

The warning messages are output by dotplot(ranef() ).
ranef(xxx ,postVar=T) by  itself does not output any warning messages.

The models:
modG.glmer <- glmer( vd ~ dlms*expe  +(dlms|subject) ,family=binomial, ....)
modI.glmer <- glmer( vd ~ dlms*expe  +(1|subject) ,family=binomial, ....)
modS.glmer <- glmer( vd ~ dlms*expe  +(0+dlms|subject) ,family=binomial, ....)

have their dotplot(ranef()) OK.

The problem is only with the model:
modIS.glmer <-  glmer( vd ~ dlms*expe +(1|subject) +(0+dlms|subject) ,family=binomial, ....)

ranef(modIS.glmer)-> rr.glmer
>  dotplot( rr.glmer)
$subject

Warning messages:
1: In min(x) : aucun argument trouvé pour min ; Inf est renvoyé
2: In max(x) : aucun argument pour max ; -Inf est renvoyé

traceback() returns nothing :
> traceback()
2: bar(2)
1: foo(2)
(because I have tested it with the example in ?traceback)

In addition, how can I extract the postVar component in a ranef object ?
Dr Bates, in case you need the data , do I have attach them in a private mail to you ?

here is the complete sessionInfo():
R version 2.7.2 (2008-08-25)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=French_France.1252;LC_CTYPE=French_France.1252;LC_MONETARY=French_France.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=French_France.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] lme4_0.999375-26   Matrix_0.999375-13 lattice_0.17-13

[1] grid_2.7.2  nlme_3.1-89