[R-sig-ME] possible lmer compatibility bug?

Brandon Invergo brandon at brandoninvergo.com
Wed Aug 20 19:02:24 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I was just driving myself crazy trying to figure out this sudden error
message I was getting on lines of code that were working fine the other
day. Every time I tried to make a model with the lmer() function, it
would return the following error: "Error in asMethod(object) : matrix is
not symmetric [1,2]"

I realized, though, that the only thing that had changed was the version
of R I was using, having just switched to version 2.7.1. Sure enough,
when I loaded up v2.7.0, the script worked fine and I could successfully
call lmer.

Is there something I'm possibly doing wrong that's preventing it from
working in 2.7.1? Or is this a known problem?

Regards,
brandon