[R-sig-ME] Lmer for negative binomial data

Renwick, A. R. a.renwick at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 16:35:25 CEST 2008

I am trying to run a glmm with a negative binomial distribution but am having difficulty coding it.
I ran a glm.nb to obtain a value for theta and then used in in the lmer model as below:

 mix<-lmer(realdis~width+(1|site),family=negative.binomial(theta=0.43),data=move)

However, I keep getting error messages:

Error in famType(glmFit$family) :
  unknown GLM family: 'Negative Binomial(0.43)'

If anybody could enlighten me to the best way to procede it would be much apprecaited.

Anna

Anna Renwick
Zoology Building
School of Biological Sciences