[R-sig-ME] nlme optim control option

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Apr 29 13:46:10 CEST 2008

I actually trust nlminb more than I trust optim. In some of the functions I have written in the MiscPsycho package (e.g., irt.ability) we get multimodal distributions for some of the item response theory models.

When I use optim for optimization, you can get very funny results with difficult to maximize distributions. nlminb, however, gave reasonable results and the maximum was always confirmed to be "correct" via a visual examination of the likelihoods.

In other words, I can plot the likelihood function and get a sense of where the max is. optim would more often than not give results that are very (very) far away from the max with multimodal distributions whereas nlminb always gave back the max that seemed consistent with the visual plot of the likelihood.

With all of this said, you should switch to lme4.