[R-sig-ME] nlme optim control option

Stephan Moratti moratti at med.ucm.es
Tue Apr 29 13:05:21 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am using the nlme package for quite a while, but recently I have
discovered the "optim" option in the lmeControl function and I have read
that until the R verison 2.2.0 the optimization function is "nlminb" and
before it was "optim" by default. As I am a "user" of R I am not into
the optimization functions. However, I have a case now where with optim
= "nlminb" the model does not converge, whereas with optim = "optim" the
model converges.

Can somebody explain to me in easy words what the difference is ? If
nlminb does not converge, but optim does, is the result less trustable ?

Thanks,

Stephan

--
*Stephan Moratti, PhD/
/**/see also: http://web.mac.com/smoratti/

en la actualidad (currently at) en el
Centro de Magnetoencefalografía Dr. Perez Modrego,
Universidad Complutense de Madrid,
Faculdad de Medicina,
Pabellón 8,
Avda. Complutense, s/n,