[R-sig-ME] how to know if random factors are significant?

Ken Beath kjbeath at kagi.com
Thu Apr 3 06:40:59 CEST 2008

On 02/04/2008, at 9:27 PM, MHH Stevens wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2008, at 3:35 AM, Rune Haubo wrote:
>> On 02/04/2008, John Maindonald <john.maindonald at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>>> There was a related question from Mariana Martinez a day or two ago.
>>> Before removing a random term that background knowledge or past
>>> experience with similar data suggests is likely, check what
>>> difference
>>> it makes to the p-values for the fixed  effects that are of
>>> interest.
>>> If it makes a substantial difference, caution demands that it be
>>> left
>>> it in.
>>>
>>> To pretty much repeat my earlier comment:
>>> If you omit the component then you have to contemplate the
>>> alternatives:
>>> 1) the component really was present but undetectable
>>> 2) the component was not present, or so small that it could be
>>> ignored, and the inference from the model that omits it is valid.
>>>
>>> If (1) has a modest probability, and it matters whether you go with
>>> (1) or (2), going with (2) leads to a very insecure inference.
>>> The p-
>>> value that comes out of the analysis is unreasonably optimistic;
>>> it is
>>> wrong and misleading.
> Can "caution" ever cause us to select the more "optimistic" model? If
> we assume that the absence of the random effect reduces the p-value
> of the fixed effect, we might ponder the situation in which there is
> a meaningful risk associated with with ignoring type II error (that
> we erroneously accept the null hypothesis). Imagine field testing the
> effects of a pesticide on non-target organisms --- does (2) result in
> a "minimum" p-value, or is the p-value, as John said, wrong and
> misleading?
>
> More generally, if a random effect has the real potential to exist
> (has a "modest probability"), but we don't see evidence for it in our
> particular data set, does it exist for us? (i.e. "If a tree
> falls ..." or worse, Heisenberg's proposition, Is the cat dead if we
> don't look?). I have typically acted as though it does not exist if I
> do not have evidence for it in MY data. However, when it does make a
> significant difference, I do lose sleep over it.

Incorrectly ignoring a random effect will have the effect of either
increasing or decreasing the significance level of fixed effects. With
the common configuration where a covariate is constant across a
cluster the effect of ignoring the covariate is to increase
significance. Provided it doesn't produce numerical problems including
a non-existent random effect probably isn't going to make a lot of
difference to the p-values.

One worry I have with checking for the existence of a random effect is
that I may have low power to detect the effect, so I don't find it,
but it may still be sufficient to inflate the type I error for a
covariate, maybe excessively so. For this reason it seems essential to
include a random effect where a fixed effect may operate in the same
way. If there are possible random effects that aren't related to
covariates, it is probably reasonable to exclude them if they don't
seem significant.

As an example, if I had repeated measurements on a subject over time
with a linear relationship, then I might have both a random effect for
constant and slope. Assume treatments applied to different subjects.
Now if my model is that treatments only affect the mean response and I
find that a random effect for slope doesn't improve the model, then
excluding it may improve the fit of the covariates without causing
other problems. However if I model the effect of treatment  on the
slope then I should have both random effects in the model (the random
effect for constant is needed because of the slope random effect) even
if the slope random effect doesn't seem necessary, in case there
really is a random effect for slope.

Ken