[R-sig-ME] lme4::mcmcsamp + coda::HPDinterval

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 2 19:51:40 CEST 2008

I just checked in files to update the lme4 package on R-forge to
version 0.999375-12, adding a hidden function devmat.  The function is
hidden because I am still considering the form of the arguments and
the response.  At present it takes a fitted linear mixed model and a
matrix of values for the ST parameters.  As shown in the enclosed
example this allows for evaluation on a grid of parameter values
through the expand.grid function.  It returns a data frame with
columns of the parameters and

ML - the profiled deviance
REML - the profiled REML deviance
ldL2 - logarithm of the square of the determinant of the q by q
Cholesky factor L
ldRX2 - logarithm of the square of the determinant of the p by p
Cholesky factor RX
sigmaML - conditional ML estimate of sigma
sigmaREML - conditional REML estimate of sigma
pwrss - penalized, weighted residual sum of squares (= usqr + wrss)
disc - discrepancy (= wrss for linear mixed models but not for GLMMs)
usqr - squared length of the orthogonal random effects u at their
conditional mode
wrss - weighted residual sum of squares

All these components are calculated during the evaluation of the
profiled deviance so I included everything in case researchers want to
examine other functions of these quantities.  It just occurred to me
that I could also include the conditional estimates of the fixed
effects, perhaps as an option.

I reran the example your simulated example evaluating the REML
deviance on a grid of values of ST1 = sigma[A:B]/sigma and ST2 =
sigma[A]/sigma, equally spaced on the logarithm scale.  The prior used
in mcmcsamp is locally uniform on the logarithm scale.  The resulting
contour plot (enclosed) shows what I mean by "the flat spot".  The
deviance is insensitive to the value of log(ST2) below zero.  When the
MCMC sampler hits that region it gets stuck there.