[R-sig-ME] lme4::mcmcsamp + coda::HPDinterval

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 2 00:58:55 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Sundar Dorai-Raj
<sundar.dorai-raj at pdf.com> wrote:
> Hi, Prof. Bates,
>
>  Douglas Bates said the following on 4/1/2008 11:40 AM:
>
>  > This is a known problem with MCMC sampling of
>   > variance components.
>
>  So, does this mean the confidence interval is in question, and not the
>  point estimate?

I think I would characterize it as a problem with the mixing of the
Markov chain.  Another way of looking at it is that it is caused by an
improper posterior distribution for the parameter that is getting
stuck.  Frequently we use an improper prior distribution because the
likelihood will dominate the prior and we end up with a proper
posterior distribution (or close enough to being proper that we don't
encounter problems).  However, if the likelihood flattens out so that
it doesn't dominate the prior and it does this in a place where it is
not much, much smaller than the likelihood at the estimate, then we
have an improper posterior and a non-negligible probability of ending
up on the flat patch.  That's when we get problems.

> Would Wald intervals not be appropriate either? Or
>  profile likelihood intervals? (I know neither are available in lme4 but
>  I think could hack it if necessary.)

That's probably the best approach, although things may get touchy at
the boundary of the parameter space.  I must leave for a meeting now
but tomorrow morning I should be able to draft some code to show how
one would evaluate the profiled likelihood.  Basically you do the
following

# Set the value of the ST parameters (the two relative standard
deviations for this model)
# This also updates the scaled model matrix A.
.Call("mer_ST_setPars", fm, pars, PACKAGE = "lme4")
# Update the sparse Cholesky factor
.Call("mer_update_L", fm, PACKAGE = "lme4")
# Update the other parts of the Cholesky factor
.Call("mer_update_RX", fm, PACKAGE = "lme4")
# extract the deviance or REML deviance
dev  <- fm at deviance["ML"]  # or "REML"

If you want to get sophisticated you can profile one of the ST
parameters with respect to the other.