[R-sig-ME] how to know if random factors are significant?

Leonel Arturo Lopez Toledo llopez at oikos.unam.mx
Tue Apr 1 19:02:56 CEST 2008

Dear all:
I’m new to mixed models and I’m trying to understand the output from “lme” in the nlme
package. I hope my question is not too basic for that list-mail. Really sorry if that
is the case.
Especially I have problems to interpret the random effect output. I have only one
random factor which is “Site”. I know the “Variance and Stdev” indicate variation by
the random factor, but are they indicating any significance? Is there any way to
obtain a p-value for the random effects? And in case is not significant, how can I
remove it from the model? With “update (model,~.-)”?

The variance in first case (see below) is very low and in the second example is more
considerable, but should I consider in the model or do I remove it?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

EXAMPLE 1
Linear mixed-effects model fit by maximum likelihood