[R-sig-ME] Coefficient of determination (R^2) when using lme()

Jarrett Byrnes jebyrnes at ucdavis.edu
Tue Apr 1 16:40:16 CEST 2008

This came up with a reviewer when I was using glms as well. I've
become fond of using the R^2 of the correlation between the fitted and
observed values.  It's easily interpretable by a general audience.

r2.corr.lmer<-function(lmer.object){
         summary(lm(attr(lmer.object, "y") ~ fitted (lmer.object)))
$r.squared}