[R-sig-ME] Coefficient of determination (R^2) when using lme()

MHH Stevens HStevens at muohio.edu
Tue Apr 1 12:37:21 CEST 2008

Hi R.S.,
This quantity is not clearly defined for mixed models --- should it
include that which is "explained" by the random effects? What would
it mean to "explain" a response with a variance? In any event, try
searching R-help lists for Coefficient of determination AND lme.
Cheers,
Hank
On Apr 1, 2008, at 6:17 AM, R.S. Cotter wrote:
> Dear mixed models users,
>
> I have recently started using R, and I have learned to use lme ().
>
> Is it possible to interpret coefficient of determination (R^2) when
> using lme ()?
>

> Best Regards
>
> R.S. Cotter

Dr. Hank Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/ecology
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/

"If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men
believe and adore." -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)