[R-sig-ME] Split-plot Design

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 21 01:04:10 CET 2008

I do not think it quite true that the aov model that has an
Error() term is a fixed effects model.  The use of the word
"stratum" implies that a mixed effects model is lurking
somewhere.  The F-tests surely assume such a model.

Some little time ago, Doug Bates invested me, along with
Peter Dalgaard, a member of the degrees of freedom police.
Problem is, I am unsure of the responsibilities, but maybe
they include commenting on a case such as this.

lme() makes a stab at an appropriate choice of degrees
of freedom, but does not always get it right, to the extent
that there is a right answer.  [lmer() has for the time being
given up on giving degrees of freedom and p-values for
fixed effects estimates.]  This part of the output from lme()
should, accordingly, be used with discretion.  In case of
doubt, check against a likelihood ratio test.  In a simple
enough experimental design, users who understand how
to calculate degrees of freedom will reason them out for
themselves.
John Maindonald.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.